RECOMMENDED // STAY
- Feel Home Kandy (★★)
- The host Fazly is a gem of a man. He and his young family live downstairs from their homestay, and he is genuine, helpful, and responsive. Fazly is building his homestay business and we enjoyed chatting with him about our experiences and getting to know him. His place is clean and spacious, with a beautiful Kandy view. If you opt for breakfast or dinner, know it will be deliciously home-cooked. It is a short, but uphill walk away from the Keells Super grocery store for all of your needs (>tip< get a fruit smoothie, omelet sandwich, or coffee butter bun for a quick and cheap bite to eat).
RECOMMENDED // EATS
- BUONO (★)
- Nice pitstop for some Sri Lankan coffee, delicious mango smoothie, and wholesome sandwiches. One might not be enough though!
RECOMMENDED // SEES
- Royal Botanical Gardens, Peradeniya (★★)
- Really spacious gardens that are nice to stroll through. Some of the trees are crazy tall which contrasts so starkly with the rolling green lawns. If you have sharp eyes you’ll see some odd fruits and trees, such as the canon ball or sausage tree.
- Bahirawakanda Vihara Buddha Statue (★)
- Towering over all of Kandy is this white guy. We’ve seen a lot of big Buddhas on this trip! We took a tuk tuk up and I’m glad we did, because even though it was short it was steep and windy and we just beat the rain. We had enough time to drop off our shoes, buy tickets, climb up the stairs behind Buddha and then find shelter right when the spigot turned on. The cutest thing was a dog hanging out the side checking out all the visitors.
- Kandy Lake (★)
- We had a nice little stroll on the northern side of this lake on our way to an evening show. Due to the high ticket price, we opted not to visit the Temple of the Sacred Tooth Relic, but were able to peek from the outside during this walk. Lots of interesting birds hang out here, with people feeding the fish.
OTY’s ★ Rating System
Our rating is similar to the Michelin guide, but applied to attractions as well as restaurants. Most places won’t be Michelin-priced as we’re on a budget, and sometimes a star may reflect exceptionally good value (like free!). Since we don’t like to be negative, we don’t include any places that we wouldn’t recommend.
(★★★) Exceptional attraction/cuisine, worth a special journey. Wish we could go back again!
(★★) Delicious and/or delightful, this spot is worth a detour.
(★) Good pitstop, especially if you’re in the area.